Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Gosh.

The weather has been killing me here.

Depressing, really.

We would have three or four warm days in a row, and then snow, and cold. Mother Nature has, apparently, not been a happy Goddess. I'm not sure which one of you pissed her off, but, really, it's time to apologize.

We do, finally, have a nice run of warm weather, although I'm stuck inside today due to thunder and lightning. I spent the last several days putting some goodness from Mother Nature back into our soil.

Egg shells, for calcium, from the eggs She gave us for  nourishment.
Chicken manure and hay, to make the soil more fertile, from the chickens She gave us, both for food and entertainment.
Wood ash, for potassium, from the trees we took from Her to warm our home.

There is a connection built, I believe, when you are giving back to the Earth. A realization that the whole relationship is very much give and take. And that when we give, the Earth gives back-far more than we take. We will take so much of our food straight from the Earth this year, so it's important to give back what we can, to help heal Her, to make her whole.

Pretty philosophical today, I guess. I have some pictures to share with you, since I finally got a camera phone. I hope you love them!


To me, the first tulip popping always signifies the arrival of Spring. It's pretty late for tulips.


The chickens were curious when I was out working in the garden area. They're right next to the garden. Eventually their run will include a way into the garden so they can go in after harvest and eat the leavings and help with turning the soil and fertilizing for the following season. Can you see the barn cats keeping watch? They like to share the household scraps I take out to the chickens. They are especially fond of bread.


Rocky got tired after a long day of playing with Bellatrix, chasing chickens, sniffing chicken poo, and barking at, well, whatever it is he barks at. Which is usually nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment